Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Are We Having Fun Yet?



Why The Funnies?
 Nothing kills a joke quicker than analizing it but I'm going to get scientific about laughter just the same.
 We have an amigdala. Each and every one of us has one. It is like a little switch inside our brains between our frontal lobes and the rest of our grey matter. I think we are the only animals in the world who get to have frontal lobes. Alot of the time we don't use them much. That's too bad.
 Frontal lobes are big chunks of very smart brain and they are very good at feeling joy, peace, kinship, and much more wonderful stuff. Laughter flicks the switch.
 When we can laugh at ourselves, our situation, or something silly, we are better able to cope with life's upsets, or just enjoy a better quality of life when things are going well.
 I have found it abundantly useful to be able to laugh at myself. For example, I have been a little shy about writing because I don't think I am very good at it. I may have been once but that was a gazillion years ago. I would not be able to write what you are reading right now if I did not take a moment first to chuckle at myself and think "I have no idea what the hell I'm doing but I'm doing it anyway and nice people show up and look at my stuff and most of them are adorably forgiving and say 'That's ok Jody. You keep learning. You don't have to be perfect"

 I love doing the funnies. I did Sleep Hypnosis for Children when I was annoyed at one of my kids. I can't remember what was bugging me now but I do remember leaving my room feeling cleansed of all maternal frustation. Even right now as I toss around ideas for my next "funny" I am smirking and chuckeling. I'm in a better mood just thinking about it. We are all just visiting in this world. Stuff like this helps us enjoy the stay.

 Funnies are risky. Sometimes what I think will be funny just comes across as stupid. I think looking stupid once in a while is a small price to pay for the joy I feel when I hear I have made someone laugh. I laugh again vicariously. It's all good.

If you have been following these blogs at all you may notice they are getting a little longer. I am getting braver. Learning in public is scarey but if I wait till I'm good enough to avoid all scorn, even my own, I won't ever learn how to do this and I love doing this.

I still haven't lost my sence of awe at the internet. All these hearts and minds comming together and available at the touch of my fingertips, quite frankly, blows my mind. Every view, comment, email, ect. is a living breating spirit and I am humbled and thrilled. I just can't get over it.

 But here I am supposed to be talking about humor and can't think of anything brilliantly funny about it so I go off on one of my "let's love everybody" spiritual adventures. It started with a giggle thinking about ideas for funny videos, the switch gets flicked, and I am just goofy, happy, in love with the universe and every living thing in it. It's a good feeling.

Here is your advice from the blonde. Find stuff to laugh at. It's good for you.

Thanks again for your patience. You are a good person. Love always, Jody.




No comments:

Post a Comment