Sunday, November 13, 2011



Where The Hypnotic Story Was Born

 I had found myself in an unusual situation. How I got there is not important right now. What was important was how I was going to survive the next three weeks with my sanity intact.

 I was in a little cabin way up in the mountains with my two daughters, Evan and Alora. These were two  energetic and curious children aged eight and eleven prone to squabbling in a most annoying fashion when bored. The cabin was very small and it was cold outside. There was no television and three long weeks over christmas vacation to go before they were to begin classes in their new school.
My marriage was on the rocks and my husband was over a thousand miles away in Ontario.

 I felt very alone and very frightened but kept reminding myself moral was everything and needed something to entertain the children. I knew how important it was for them to keep their spirits up. But how?

 My father was a man with a talent for telling a good story. He had been all over the world doing exciting things in strange places. So many things he has told me has come in quite handy in tight situations. This is why I am grateful for this little anecdote he shared with me years before...

 He was in Africa somewhere remote having a chat with one of the natives who told my father about a great story teller who was visiting their villiage. Then he asked what English people did for entertainment.

 "We watch television" My father replied.

 The native man did not know what television was so my father explained "It is a box that tells stories every day, all day long"

 The native was impressed "Your people must have very many stories" he said.

 "No." Dad answered."We only have a few, we just keep thinking of different ways to tell them"

 I love Dad. He was such a smart man.

 Anyway. This gave me an idea. I would become the tribal storyteller to keep us from getting cabin fever and going cannibal. When the TV arrived I was sorry the adventure was over.

 For hours every evening my children and myself lived imaginary lives of action, fantasy, and adventure through our favorite characters Sue and Angie. I will not share too many details of their journey to save the world for most of these things will be used in the hypnotic bedtime story series with you as our hero.

 The children were cheerful and well behaved for this earned them extra story telling time in the evenings and to this day we remember our time together in the little cabin in the mountains fondly.
They have nagged me to write this story down and publish it for years but I'm not so sure writing is my forte. I was a little nervous to begin telling this story to people who don't know and love me but I am feeling very encouraged by the positive feedback and attention these videos have attracted.

 I have so enjoyed making these videos for as I take my listener on a journey to magical places extraordinary, I am going with you. Telling a story is a lovely way to spend and evening. I am grateful for the audience. Thanks for reading this. Have a great night.



No comments:

Post a Comment